[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > DECEMBER 7 > 2005

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:50:45 GMT 2005

PLAYBACK
Events of the week are rather modest but as always, the signs of
encouragement are out there.
The Head of BBC New Media, Ashley Highfield today explained that a) video
over Internet b) search and c) user-generated content, are the three
principal strategic areas for the BBC going forwards. And they haven't
really begun to think about breaking shows apart yet.  Michela had a drink &
rant with one of our 'non-technical' team yesterday and was chuffed to hear
some of the old arguments for more open access to mainstream films being
replayed in layman's terms. We're getting there. A lot of what's been
discussed in the various blogs (as well as our Newsletters) over the last
two years is now fairly common knowledge, which means it's probably time to
open it up!

PIPE DREAMS
Computer Arts - 3D World issue 72 has a great article on next-generation
studio pipelines (ring a bell anyone?) and why they are still a ways off. I
must extend this post with a helpful top 10 points they raise which have all
cropped up arouund Sanctuary. The long and short of it though is that only
one film company (LucasFilm) has really taken the plunge and unified its
systems so that game assets, print materials, web stuff etc can be plucked
out of the feature film asset library easily. The rest are coming but when?
It's hard to tell. I take some heart from NVIDA quoted as saying that the
main source of game media content over time will be films.

GOOGLE STILL UNDER FIRE FROM PUBLISHERS
The calls by publishers to block Internet search engine, from being able to
monetise their content via indexing, are getting louder. The European
Publishers Council has come out in support of French agency AFP which has a
lawsuit out against Google News. Just how this dispute will be settled
remains to be seen but the explosion of Web 2.0 (site-as-application)
concepts and ever-increasing online search capabilities means that Microsoft
and other players vying for a bigger piece of the action must be eyeing this
one out very carefully.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700AP_Europe_Internet.html

MULTIVERSE
Multiverse aims to provide a MMOG platform for developers and for
inter-operability between what it calls 'gated communities' (and what we
know as the hit MMORPGs like 'World' of 'Warcraft'). No cost until you make
money. We like that one but let's see how that business works in practice.
http://www.multiverse.net

VJ PETER GREENWAY
Peter Greenaway's magnificent VJ debut back in June has been documented by
NOTV. About time that feature film directors get in on the action. Now let's
try and get Martin Scorsese behind the decks!!
http://cms.notv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=26

NOT EXACTLY YOUR 'MAINSTREAM' FILM-MAKER QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"I think it's essential that all interesting art forms or projects do have
to have an element of provocation in them. They shouldn't just simply
massage an audience's already agreed upon prejudices about attitudes.
So sensationalism and just being superficially titillating is going to be
very cheap and it's going to disappear very rapidly." - Peter Greenway