[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > DECEMBER 28 > 2005

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 17:47:00 GMT 2005

AND NOW... SOME FINAL WORDS FROM OUR LEADER
2005 is drawing to a close and the story shifts once again. When MOD Films
started up two years ago, there were no buzz phrases to describe what we
were about. "User-Generated Content" or "Social Media" wasn't referred to
but audiences clearly wanted more opportunities for dialogue. Content
providers wanted more business, even at the expense of developing social
skills. Storytellers wanted more buzz in order to stand out from the crowd.
But what wasn't clear was how traditional media would respond. This year, we
saw technology vendors become liable for when their users misbehaved. Film
companies frisked and filmed cinema goers to weed out videotaping. Media
giants got caught hacking their customers and installing malware. Labels
began suing parents for the file-sharing habits of their children (and
children's friends). Digital Rights Management carved up popular culture
into incompatible clumps of soon-to-be-obsolete padlocked
files.  Entertainment giants claimed a decisive victory against piracy, and
through demonising their audience, seemed to collectively lose the plot.

It has been a tumultuous year but there's been a huge amount of work
achieved behind the scenes which will see our little malleable movie out the
door next year along with some new cheeky new software. Apart from the 35mm
film production in May, we've got eight products underway. The original
experience, as envisaged way back in 2003, is all coming together. Thanks to
everyone for your efforts and support. So many people have contributed in so
many ways and I'm really proud of what we've achieved to-date. Welcome also
to all the folks from the US who've written this week after reading about
the project in Wired (the Jan issue not yet out in the UK).

So what's in store for MOD Films in 2006? Sanctuary will, of course, be out
the door. First  versions of modfilms.net and the RIG re-mixable film player
will follow shortly afterwards. And stories stories stories! We've already
started collating the best mash-ups we can find and working on getting more
story-tellers in the mix. That's the plan. How it all ends up largely
depends on you. Happy New Year.

Respect

.M.

GOOGLE ZEITGEST
The year according to Google rates 2005 as the year of the Wiki, Myspace as
the "Top Gainer" and reveals even more of Janet Jackson. The singer storms
to the top of the Google News - Top Searches chart with more hits than
Hurricane Katrina. http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist2005.html

HOLLYWOOD OPTS OUT OF THE GOOGLE ECONOMY
A new media strategy report details how and why the US film industry is
refusing to play ball with broadband. It identifies the UK as the
bellweather market in 2006. All eyes obviously remain on the BBC and BT to
see how their video service offerings play out.
http://www.i2partners.com/ideas/war-of-the-worlds-hollywood-opts-out-of-the-google-economy

HALLAM FOE: OPEN SOURCE SCRIPTING
Going one step further than most, 'Gapingvoid - hallam foe: open source
filmmaking' is an experiment in distributing a screenplay half-way through
its consoquent writing. I'm not convinced it's going to catch on (neither it
seems are the people involved as they've just withdrawn the Download link)
but a worthy exploration even if only for the feedback to-date.
http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/001978.html

LITTLE AUSSIE BATTLER QUOTE OF THE YEAR
"Well I guess everything probably happens for a reason, so here we are back
in development with a tighter leaner script, a bit more funding and a wad
more experience under our collective belts." - Michela Ledwidge