[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > JANUARY 18 > 2006

alkhemi aladin at alkhemi.com
Thu Jan 19 13:37:28 GMT 2006

socially engaged/politically active independent filmmaking is something
alkhemi has been scoping across South Asia the past 6 months. There is
talent out there for creating projects which are gripping as opposed to
worthy. Distribution is key as Michela says. We are in quiet exploration
setting up connections in Europe at present.. especially Scandinavia. There
has been a good history of such cinema crossing over, but 2000+ has been
barren across the globe in terms of good work making it into cinemas.

the cannes and festival circuit in general is still a good launching point -
and indeed alkhemi are working on projects being originated by former Cannes
Jury members and Festival winners! i will bet you did not know a Bangladeshi
film won a Special Jury Prize at Cannes recently? or that a heavyweight
indian film talent [genre crosser] was on the last jury? .. these are the
tip of the iceberg.

certainly in terms of south asia there is every chance of seeing filmmaking
originating in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal worming
their way to our screens.. but it will take a full decade... Wong Kar Wei,
John Woo, Ang Lee have all made that journey successfully from further East
... although a few fight sequences have not hurt their journey!

alkhemi is not looking at song and dance btw .. all the scripts we have
considered are 'engaged'.. although none have been good enough to match up
to our stable of directors..

way to go..

aladin

On 1/19/06, Michela Ledwidge <michela at thequality.com> wrote:

> Good point which we may have glossed over. It's happening already. But
> what's interesting is that Hollywood is starting a commercialized approach
> to activism while documentary makers are reduced to picking over the scraps.
> I don't think we're going to see decent funding for documentary production
> but the funding for documentary distribution is going to turn a corner. I
> was standing on a London Underground tube platform yesterday and was able to
> download a Channel 4 documentary from a Bluetooth-powered billboard (one
> cheaply produced by an audience member and given to C4 for free of course).
>
>     .M.

On 1/18/06, christian hogue <xian at lostinspace.com> wrote:i like
the politically active film agenda.. but being a cynic can see it
becoming commercialized and therefore derailed/debased by hollywood a the
same time.. why not just teach people to watch and have decent funding and
content quotas for real journalism and documentaries..

--
alkhemi
127 Greencroft Gardens

Voicemail: ++44 (0)7092230753
Email:         office at alkhemi.com
Blog:           http://www.intentblog.com/author.php?author=Aladin  aladin
is a columnist at Deepak Chopra's IntentBlog.

Contains information which may be confidential and privileged under
applicable laws or personal views which are not the views of alkhemi, unless
specifically stated. Unless you are addressee (or authorised to receive for
addressee), you are hereby notified that you are prohibited from using,
reviewing, copying, re-transmitting, or disclosing to anyone the message or
information contained therein; doing so could, in certain circumstances, be
a criminal offence. If you are not intended recipient and if you have
received message in error, please notify sender by reply e-mail immediately
and delete message or discard all its contents.