[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > NOVEMBER 2 > 2005

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:05:12 GMT 2005

SANCTUARY GETS WIRED
Looks like Sanctuary will be covered in the January issue of Wired. Michela
was interviewed on the weekend after several months of "When's the release?"
emails. This kind of publicity doesn't come about every day so it would be
good if we make the most of it. Hence the urgency to package up what's been
done. Any thoughts on images we might wanna use? Obviously this is great
timing and fits in perfectly with our efforts to package the work to-date
funded by West Focus.

SPIELBERG IS ALREADY WIRED
"Spielberg is Wired" claims interactive storytelling blog, 'Grand Text
Auto'. It seems that Electronic Arts is calling in the big guns to make the
next emotional breakthrough in gaming. I'm all for seeing the future of
films and games fuse into one in the way Spielberg and Zemeckis have
predicted, minus the obligatory cute kid factor of course!
http://grandtextauto.gatech.edu/2005/10/14/at-ea-coppola-is-tired-spielberg-is-wired

iVIDEO IS A HUGE HIT!
Apple has sold over 1 million videos through iTunes since the Worl-wide
release of their Video iPod service a fortnight ago. Which inevitably raises
a few questions like: Will this actually encourage more people to put their
video content on the iTunes store? Is there a vast market for cheaper stuff
at reduced prices? Why am I willing to pay more for music than I would for
video?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051031/tc_nm/media_apple_dc

 REALISM VS STYLE IN VIDEO GAMES
Is the point of gaming to recreate reality, or should it go beyond realism,
into the realm of art? Video games confront this issue directly through the
use of interactivity. Developers must decide whether to make a gaming
experience as realistic as possible, allowing the gamer to step inside the
character and his actions, or to keep him at a distance through an
unfamiliar visual style. Certain types of games logically benefit from an
inclusive aesthetic; racing and fighting titles rely on increasingly robust
graphics technology to bring you more believable interactivity. With other
categories of games, such as action-adventure, the genre into which the
'Zelda' series falls, the decision isn't so clear. Neither is who makes the
call: Should it be the developers/creators/artists themselves, or the game's
fanbase, its potential consumers? Here's an essay I found on the aesthetics
of videogames which raises some very interesting questions:
http://modetwo.net/users/nachimir/vga/index.html

 HOLLYWOOD ZEITGEST QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Why pay a dollar for a bookmark? Why not use the dollar for a
bookmark?" - Steven
Spielberg