[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > SEPTEMBER 07 > 2005

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:31:54 BST 2005

MICHELA VS CHRISTINE
"I spent the afternoon and most of the evening trying to reconnect my
laptop, sim to the LAN." Michela writes "After an incredibly painful dive
into the ugliness of Samba config I managed to get the thing up again.
Learning lots about pdbedit database backends in the process. None of which
helps with the organic development of cinema. Or does it? Watched the end of
Christine just now. Watching a machine trash itself and its owner was a lot
more visual than a hundred or so Windows boot screens. But just as
horrific!"
http://thequality.com/flics/10weeks/blog/archives/002212.html#002212

DRM FROM THE FOLKS WHO STOLE THE REVOLUTION
It's probably not news to the nerds out there but why does this come as such
a surprise? I guess because along with half the Net I succumb to the
marketing messages being put on DRM. But then again I had no idea that the
whole history of Microsoft was so blatantly based on ripped-off software
code. I wonder when gag orders expire?
http://thequality.com/flics/10weeks/blog/archives/002208.html#002208

PROGRAMMING WITH KIDS
David Bau documents how he made a game with his six-year old using Python.
An interactive experience that you can't buy with a shrink-wrapped product.
http://davidbau.com/archives/2005/08/03/laaast_guessss.html

IS KAZAA KAPUT?
If Napster's death is remembered as a tragedy, Kazaa's death (if and when it
comes) may well be remembered as farce. So history repeats itself in the
file-swapping wars: When lawsuits forced Napster to close down nearly five
years ago, Kazaa brazenly took over as the file-swapping software of choice
for millions of web users, and the digital music free-for-all didn't miss a
beat. Now, litigation is poised to put Kazaa out of business, following an
Australian Federal Court ruling which closely mirrors the U.S. case that
effectively closed the books on Napster.
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,68770,00.html?tw=wn_1culthead

VLOGGING
It was inevitable: Bloggers who previously wrote endlessly about everything
from Politics to Tech tips can now take their commentary, advice and random
experiments to the next level by filming and broadcasting their work, thanks
to the latest web trend - video blogging. Or at least this is what Product
Placement, Promotions & Hollywood Celebrity Outreach Guru Cheryl Shuman
would attest. Here's a snippet to this DIY Realiy TV approach I nabbed from
Shuman's MySpace Group: http://tinyurl.com/awrxy

THE FINAL WORD FROM L.A.
"There is a small but growing number of vloggers who feel that videoblogging
transforms the Internet into a medium in which people can communicate
audiovisually through personal video posts and globally network with people
as well as to create new independent programming and content not controlled
by major broadcasting networks or cable outlets. These practices
revolutionize online communication." - Cindy Shuman