[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > NOVEMBER 16 > 2005

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:20:06 GMT 2005

BBC DRM HACKED
Will the BBC get cold feet over iMP (the 7 day free TV download service) now
that the anti-DRM crowd have shown how to keep TV files forever? Hopefully
not, but for the execs who don't understand that there is no technical way
to lock the box, this may come as a rude shock, especially as the iMP
service is still in beta.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89243&page=15&pp=20

BBC DRAMA INTERACTIVES
The BBC is conducting trials around Spooks interactive TV series 'Spooks'
and 'Shakespeare Retold', and they're looking for feedback. Here's a couple
of links if you wanna see what it's all about:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/spooks/interactive.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/shakespeare/interactive.shtml

VIDEO CODEC WARS
Broadband video take-up is set to explode but what codec do you use? Here's
some insight into why Macromedia chose On2 VP6 for Flash 8 and Apple went
with H264 for Quicktime 7.
http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/08/quest-for-new-video-codec-in-flash-8.html
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/mpeg4

SOUNDPOINT
Soundpoint is a MIDI motion-control interface being used for installations
and educational projects. Soundpoint's website describes it as "'the
invisible expanding keyboard in space' but we think it's much groovier than
that! http://www.soundbeam.co.uk

EVIL DEAD '0'
Sam Raimi made a 30-minute test video for his forthcoming Prequel to his
infamous 'Evil Dead' Horror series, called 'Within The Woods'.
http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0687

CULT HORROR MOVIE DIRECTOR QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"When you make the audience the critic, though, when you start asking them
to speak about the film, all these weird moments that are way out of the
ordinary, that we do a lot of in our pictures, they don't hold up to
critical analysis from an untrained professional critic very well." - Sam
Raimi