[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > SEPTEMBER 21 > 2005

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:15:10 BST 2005

FILM STUDIOS UNITE TO STOP PIRACY
Six major Hollywood studios: Walt Disney, Sony, Paramount, Warner Bros,
Universal and 20th Century Fox have formed a joint venture to protect their
movies from the threat of electronic piracy. 'Motion Picture Laboratories'
will research and create new technologies to stop the unauthorised
distribution of films, particularly via the internet. The company, also
named 'Movielabs', will have offices in Los Angeles and a $30m (£16.6m)
budget in its first two years.

JAMIE KANE
Jamie Kane is a new interactive drama from the 'BBC Interactive Drama and
Entertainment Department'. Without offering too much of a spoiler this is a
murder mystery puzzle game in the guise of pop star fan sites and online
community systems. A lot of work has gone into creating a story arc across
web, email, and phone channels and the project is a good illustration of how
interactive stories can evolve away from the 'Choose Your Own Adventure'
concept which so many people still equate with being the only model there
is. Interestingly, the BBC wanted to release the work without any mention of
the fact that it was fictitious, only prevented from doing so by their Code
of Practice. Which makes me wonder when the web equivalent of Orson Wells'
'War of the Worlds' will be unleashed. http://www.bbc.co.uk/jamiekane

SUPERPLAY
A new kind of video genre, Superplay Videos show gaming gurus working their
way through titles in record time. Available for download and even for sale
online, these vids help ordinary people master all the moves of the pros.
http://www.planetdreamcast.com/orochinagi/spc/superplay.html

BLINKX TV SEARCH ENGINE
Blinkx.tv <http://Blinkx.tv> allows you to search the web for Video and
Audio Clips. Unlike other search providers, Blinkx.tv <http://Blinkx.tv> not
only lets you search using standard keyword and Boolean queries, but also
gives you the option of a Conceptual Search. This type of search, which is
provided exclusively by Blinkx, allows you to enter normal text for which
Blinkx.tv <http://Blinkx.tv> will return results whose content is
'conceptually' similar to your search text. http://www.blinkx.tv

A DIFFERENT SPIN ON LIFE
Directed by Jamin Winans for Denver-based Double Edge Films, SPIN tells the
story of a mysterious DJ who is sent to a busy street corner to fix a chain
reaction of bad events, almost as if he was mixing and remixing life as it
unfolds. If you haven't seen this one yet, I highly recommend it as
something tells me it won't be too long till we get all to play VJ in a very
very similar way. You can view the short here:
http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/spin?afhomeclicktrack=FS1

LITERARY TIME LORD QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"The past is but the past of a beginning." - H.G. Wells