[modfilms-general] SANCTUARY NEWSLETTER > FEBRUARY 08 > 2006

Alex Zinzi alexzinzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:45:04 GMT 2006

COMING SOON.. MOD FILMS COMMUNITY
Michela, Michelle and I had a good ol' Skype-chat the other day about the
next steps that need to be taken for our burgeoning MODfilms Community.
Essentially we agreed this is as good a time as any to migrate our forum
discussions into a more public space hosted on the eminently
multimedia-friendly site Multiply, while refocusing the modfilms-general
list for the more commercially sensitive internal discussions. One of the
main advantages of using Multiply is that, as a Gold member and official
Beta-tester of the site, I'm allowed to host pretty sizeable audio and video
files, thus allowing us to stream our content more cohesively, (ie: without
having to cross-link everything), while being able to express our thoughts
on what we see and hear in the accompanying forums. But rather than give too
much away at this 'pre-launch' stage, let's just say that next week's
Newsletter will probably be the last time you receive information, tips and
news-stories from us in this old-school mail-out format. So don't panic..
remember that change is good... very good in fact!!

90 DEGREES
Cheers to Damon for spotting this amazing piece of French animation sporting
a messy virtual world aesthetic, as well as a figure which is rather
reminiscent of our own CD. 90 DEGREES <http://www.90degrees.fr/>

BLU-RAY MOVIE DISCS
Blu-Ray stems from the consumer electronics industry which is worlds away
from the lastest crop of social media APIs online. No matter how far
advanced the soon-to-be-mainstream features are going to be though, this is
still rudimentary corporate technology struggling to stay within sight of
our collective imaginations without losing control. Whatever scope there is
for being cheeky and innovative with Blu-Ray, you can rest assured that the
official playground will require locks and keys. Chris Adamson expands on
why every film will have its own e-commerce store before long thanks to the
Blu-Ray format which looks set to be the sequel to DVD-ROM in this
ARTICLE<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2005/10/we_love_bluray_java_its_perfec.html>

PLAYON
PlayOn is a Xerox Palo Alta Research Center (PARC) project to investigate
the social dimensions of MMOGs and virtual worlds. PARC is famous for having
invented such funky little 'thingies' as Ethernet and the GUI so by my
reckoning it's probably worth keeping an eye or two on this
ONE<http://blogs.parc.com/playon/>

MONSTERVILLE COLOUR COMP
Ever wondered what a Film Colourist does? Check out the current entries in
the WORTH100.COM<http://www.worth1000.com/cache/contest/contestcache.asp?contest_id=8877&display=photoshop#entries>Monsterville
3 Photoshop contest. Take a still from an old B&W movie and go
crazy colourising. But wait till you can re-skin the whole film.. before you
have your cake and eat it with a side-order of glazed
cherries.<http://www.worth1000.com/cache/contest/contestcache.asp?contest_id=8877&display=photoshop#entries>

STILL IMAGE SUPREMO QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"There's nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel
Adams